Cash Assistance: Work Force New Jersey (WFNJ) General Assistance (GA)
New Jersey is one of only a few states that provide welfare benefits to adults without dependent children. The Work Force New Jersey General Assistance (WFNJ GA) program is a time-limited, means-tested program designed to aid needy individuals or couples in achieving self-sufficiency. It is intended to promote personal responsibility and self-worth. Able-bodied adults are required to participate in a job search or work activity. Eligibility for GA employable adults will commence after the individual completes a minimum 28-day employment-related activity.
Learn More About WFNJ TANF
Single adults without dependents who live in Middlesex County may apply for cash assistance. The following is a list of information frequently required to complete an application:
- You must prove who you say you are.
- You must have the Social Security Number for all applicants.
- You must prove where you live (unless you are homeless).
- If you are not able to work for medical reasons, you must provide a doctor’s note.
- If you are not a US citizen, you must provide a current I-94 or current I-551.
- If you have resources you must provide records, statements or proof of their current value.
If you have earned and/or unearned income, you must verify the source, amount and how often you receive it.