Frequently Asked Questions

How can I check the balance on my EBT card?

You must call 1-800-997-3333 or go to to check your EBT balance. Middlesex County Board of Social Service Agents cannot check balances.

How do I get a replacement EBT card?

You are required to call 1-800-997-3333 to cancel your original card; then contact our Agency. Your replacement card will be mailed to you or we will arrange a time for you to come in for your replacement card.

How do I apply for benefits?

At the top of this page, click on the type of program for which you are applying: SNAP (Food Stamps); Cash Assistance (TANF or General Assistance); Medical Assistance (Medicaid), or Child Support and Paternity. Then follow the prompts. The quickest way to apply for SNAP, TANF or General Assistance is by completing the online application at The quickest way to apply for NJ FamilyCare (Medicaid) is by completing the online application at

Do I have to go to the office for an interview?

For your convenience, all business can be conducted without having to come to the office. In-person visits can be accommodated.

What happens when I apply for SNAP (Food Stamps) and how long will it take to process my application?

You must provide all verification requested to our Agency. SNAP applications are processed within 30 days of the date of application. If an applicant meets the criteria for expedited benefits, funds can be available within 7 days of the date of application.

How can I apply for Emergency Assistance (Housing/Rental Assistance)?

Emergency Assistance is only available to clients applying for or receiving TANF, GA or SSI.

How long will it take to process my application for Medical Assistance?

Most applications for Medical Assistance are processed within 30 to 90 days of the date of application.

How do I receive SNAP and/or TANF or General Assistance?

If you are found eligible, you will receive SNAP and/or TANF/GA on an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) Card, which works like a debit card. Benefits are automatically added onto your card each month for as long as you are eligible.

What are the Board’s operating hours?

The Agency’s operating hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., Monday through Friday, except the following holidays:

Monday, January 1New Year’s Day
Monday, January 15Martin Luther King’s Birthday
Monday, February 19Presidents’ Day
Friday, March 29Good Friday
Monday, May 27 Memorial Day
Friday, June 21 Juneteenth
Thursday, July 4Independence Day
Monday, September 2Labor Day
Monday, October 14  Columbus Day
Tuesday, November 5Election Day
Monday, November 11Veteran’s Day
Thursday, November 28Thanksgiving Day
Friday, November 29Day after Thanksgiving Day
Wednesday, December 25Christmas Day

Can I transfer benefits from another New Jersey County?

Only TANF and Medicaid benefits can transfer within the State. You must apply for GA or SNAP when you arrive in the new county because benefits are not transferable. It is your responsibility to report a new residence to your former county and your new county of residence. The county you are leaving will close your SNAP and GA cases and transfer your Medicaid and TANF cases to Middlesex County once you notify them of your new address.

Can I transfer my benefits from out of state?

Benefits are not transferable from state to state. If you have moved from another state, you must provide proof that the case in that state is closed.

How do I obtain proof that I am receiving services/benefits?

For TANF, GA, or SNAP benefits, you can view and print your transaction history online at Otherwise, contact our Call Center at 732-745-3500.

How can I find out the status of my application?

For SNAP, TANF and GA applications go to

For NJ FamilyCare:

For Adult Medicaid/Aged, Blind, Disabled (ABD):

For Emergency Assistance-Housing

For Child Support and Paternity

How will I know if my application has been approved or denied?

You will receive written notification for every action taken on all applications. Please notify the Agency if your contact information changes.

What can I do if I disagree with the agency’s decision on my application?

You have the right to request a Fair Hearing. You will receive a Fair Hearing Request form included with any adverse action notice. Please follow the instructions on the notice.