Programs Administered by the Middlesex County Board of Social ServicesLady with food

The following is a list of services and programs that are available at our location. All of these services require that you meet the eligibility criteria established by the program. These descriptions are meant for informational purposes only. They are not to be used to determine eligibility or to disqualify anyone from receiving services. If you find himself in need of any services please contact the agency in person for information.


Adult Protective ServicesCash Assistance Family (TANF)Food Stamps (SNAP)Medical Assistance
Boarding Home and Rooming House ServicesChild SupportHomeless ServicesNew Jersey Ease
Cash Assistance Adult (GA)Children's Immunization ProgramInvestigative DepartmentRefugee Resettlement Program


Adult Protective Services

Adult Protective Services (APS) is a statewide program responsible for investigating abuse, neglect and exploitation of vulnerable adults. Persons must be 18 or older residing in the community, vulnerable due to mental or physical incapacity and subject to abuse, neglect and exploitation. The Middlesex County provider is Family and Children’s Services of Monmouth County.

To contact the program or make a referral, call 732-745-3635

Boarding Home and Rooming House Services

The Board monitors the houses and facilities to ensure their resident lists are accurate, house rules are in place and enforced, fire licenses are current, etc. Board staff visits each facility to ensure its compliance with the State’s requirements and that residents are appropriately placed and receiving the services they need. Any issue that is reported by a resident, community provider, family member or the facility operator regarding problems or needs of a resident is handled as a complaint and is investigated. Any abuse, neglect or exploitation matters are treated as emergencies and result in an immediate response. If necessary, reports are made to the appropriate licensing agencies and if applicable, for their investigation and remediation. Coordination of investigations with all licensing and governmental agencies is handled by the Board.

To report a complaint, contact 732-745-3500 to reach the Board and Care Program contact.

Child support Child Support and Paternity Program

The purpose of this program is to locate non-custodial parents, establish paternity, and establish and enforce support obligations.

For more information visit the child support web site at

This includes medical support owed by non-custodial parents to their children and the spouse, or former spouse, with whom the children may reside. The program provides services to both public assistance and non-public assistance clients, including families who are receiving or formerly received assistance under the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, Foster Care, and Medicaid programs, as well as any other families who apply for services. For more information visit the child support web site at

Children’s Immunization Program

This program is a cooperative effort between the Middlesex County Heath Department and the Middlesex County Board of Social Services. The Immunization Program reviews immunization records and provides free immunizations to school age children who are residents of Middlesex County who do not have insurance coverage for shots. The hours are 8:30 to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday in the New Brunswick office. Appointments are preferred. To make an appointment or if you have any questions, please call 732-745-3500. For more information visit the Middlesex County Health Department web site.Immunization program

Food Stamp Program (SNAP)

A federally funded program administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) which provides benefits to eligible households in order to increase their food purchasing power and improve the nutritional adequacy of the diets of low-income families. The Food Stamp Program (SNAP) helps low-income households buy the food they need for good health. Benefits can only be used for food such as breads and cereals; fruits and vegetables; meats, fish and poultry; dairy products and for plants and seeds to grow food to eat.

Households are issued a debit card that they can use like a credit card in approved stores

. Households are issued a debit card that they can use like a credit card in approved stores. The amount of benefits an eligible household receives depends on the number of people in the household and the amount of income the household has. Each month approximately 6,000 households in Middlesex County participate in the Food Stamp Program (SNAP). For more information visit the web site at or

Food stamp programApplications for the Food Stamp Program (SNAP) can be completed via telephone. Please contact our Call Center at 732-745-3500 for further information.

Cash Assistance Adult (GA)

Provides cash benefits, medical coverage and support services to individuals and couples with no dependent children. The Middlesex County Board of Social Services administers this program for all towns in Middlesex County except Plainsboro. Residents of Plainsboro must apply at their Municipal Welfare Office.

Cash Assistance Family (TANF)

A public assistance program designed to help families move to self-sufficiency by offering them the following supports. For more information Click HereCash assistance program

Cash Payments
Child Care Services
24 Month Medicaid Extension
Housing Subsidies and Payment of Certain Work Expenses
Supplemental Work Support Program
Transportation Assistance
Career Advancement Vouchers
Child Support Services

Homeless youth
Homeless Services

For homeless clients who are eligible for Work First New Jersey General Assistance (GA), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI), they may be assisted with shelter and emergency services. Services may include the payment of overdue rent or mortgage, utility payments or placement in temporary shelter.

Investigative Department

The Investigative Department is responsible for maintaining program integrity in all eligibility programs offered by the Middlesex County Board of Social Services. All charges of fraudulent activity are investigated. If these charges are substantiated, the department’s claims unit is responsible for calculating and collecting overpayments. When indicated, referrals to the appropriate law enforcement agency are made so that legal action can be initiated. Fraud complaints can be made by calling 732-745-3650, or by emailing All calls or contacts remain confidential.

Medical Assistance Programs


NJ FamilyCare Medicaid programs are a entitlement programs that provide health insurance for Middlesex County residents in a variety of living arrangements including Assisted Living and Long Term Care.  Income and/or asset limits apply to eligibility depending upon what level of care is required by the applicant.

NJ FamilyCare Medicaid health care coverage is usually facilitated by Medicaid funded enrollment in a Managed Care Organization (MCO).

This enrollment covers:

  • Doctor visits
  • Eyeglasses
  • Hospitalization
  • Lab tests
  • X-rays
  • Prescriptionsmedicaid
  • Regular check-ups
  • Mental health
  • Dental
  • Preventive screenings

It may also cover other services based on an eligible persons medical condition.



New Jersey Ease

New Jersey Ease is sponsored by state and county government. It gives seniors a single agency to contact for information about services and programs to meet their particular need and circumstances. New Jersey Ease staff can advise callers for which programs they may qualify as well as suggest alternative programs and agencies that may be able to assist them in obtaining needed services. For more information call 732-745-3500 or visit the web site at :

Refugee Resettlement Program

Provides financial assistance to individuals and families who have been granted asylum by the United States Government from political or religious persecution, for 8 months after their entry into the country. Generally applicants apply for this program in one of our two offices.